Solar Energy Installer and Crew Chief
Taitem Engineering is receiving applications for a full-time experienced solar energy installer to lead an installation crew.
Position Title: Solar Energy Installer and Crew Chief
Timeline: Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply immediately. Cover letters and resumes must be received by 5PM Friday, August 23.
Company: Taitem Engineering is a progressive engineering firm based in Ithaca, NY, specializing in design work with a focus on green building, energy studies, energy research, energy audits, quality assurance, and renewable energy system design and installation, including solar electric, solar thermal, and geothermal systems. Taitem stands for “Technology As If The Earth Mattered,” reflecting the firm’s commitment to the environment.
Location: Company headquarters are in Ithaca, NY, with projects throughout the Fingerlakes region.
This position is for an experienced renewable energy installer with —
- demonstrated expertise installing solar electric systems,
- an excellent work ethic,
- dedication to quality work, and
- strong leadership ability.
Responsibilities include —
- leading installations for residential and commercial customers,
- managing a crew of one to three other installers, and
- completing high-quality installation in the most efficient manner possible.
Specific work will include —
- reviewing stamped project drawings and site safety plans,
- working with the engineering and operations team to provide all needed equipment and safety gear for the site, and
- completing all aspects of project work including roof attachments, racking assembly, foundation excavations, concrete pours, trenching, module installation, electrical wiring, conduit installation, monitoring setup, and system commissioning.
Essential Skills and Qualifications:
- Previous experience installing solar electric systems
- Interest in renewable energy systems and how they operate, and the capability to lead and demonstrate high-quality efficient work
- Several years of residential or commercial electrical experience and skills including the ability to bend conduit, connect wires to circuit breakers, inverters, disconnects, junction boxes, etc., and to test electrical systems using a multimeter to ensure the proper function and safety of systems
- Significant experience with ground-mounted solar installations and expertise operating excavation equipment
- Ability and comfort working outside in all seasons, working on roofs, and working with ladders, scaffolding, lifts, and hand and power tools
- Excellent customer and co-worker interaction skills
- Strong organizational and leadership skills
- Willingness to travel to project sites within a two-hour radius of Ithaca
- Familiarity with Solar Pathfinder and Solmetric Suneye for solar shading analysis
- Roofing experience
- Electrical license in Ithaca or interest in sitting for exam to obtain certification
- Experience with other renewable energy systems in addition to solar electric systems, such as solar thermal systems and geothermal systems
Compensation: Compensation will be competitive and will fit the experience and skill set of the applicant. Available benefits include medical and dental insurance, a 401(k) plan, paid time off and an Employee Assistance Program. Some tools are provided but it is desirable for the installer to build and maintain his or her own toolset over time. Additional training in the renewable energy field is also available and is highly encouraged.
Taitem Engineering is committed to creating a diverse workplace and encourages applications from candidates who will help us achieve this goal. We encourage applications from women and people of color.
To be considered for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter via email to Melissa Kemp, Project Development Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please no paper applications and no phone calls.
Taitem Engineering, PC is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.