Commercial Electrician (North Valley) Sacramento, CA
About GRID Alternatives:
GRID Alternatives is a national leader in making clean, affordable solar power and solar jobs accessible to low-income communities and communities of color. GRID is an entrepreneurial, high-growth non-profit organization that provides direct solar installation and project development; workforce training and service learning opportunities; and low-income solar policy advocacy.
Our vision: a transition to clean, renewable energy that includes and benefits everyone.
At GRID, we care about each other and know that each employee has a whole self that includes life outside of work. Our culture supports learning, growth and well-being of all of our team members.
Based in Oakland, California, GRID has 9 regional offices and affiliates serving all of California, Colorado, Washington D.C., Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware; GRID also works in Nicaragua, Mexico and Nepal. GRID has a dedicated staff of 350 and growing!
Every member of GRID Alternatives must participate in the organization's equity, inclusion, and diversity work.
Our North Valley region is seeking a Commercial Electrician for our Sacramento office.
As a Master Electrician you will provide leadership and oversee aspects of AC electrical PV project development and installation for low income families in the North Valley Region. You will be responsible for supporting the development and design of residential rooftop, multifamily rooftop, ground mounts, carports, and commercial scale projects throughout the North Valley region.
- Specify equipment/material selections, determine take-offs, support bid proposals, and help develop budgets
- Safely complete Main Panel Upgrades (MPU)
- Ensure that the work is performed in a professional and workmanlike manner to conform to existing national and local building codes
- Work cooperatively with team members to complete residential and large scale solar installations
- Diagnose and troubleshoot system components to resolve electrical issues
- Specify equipment/materials selections, determine take-offs, support bid proposals, and develop budgets
- Train staff, volunteers, and trainees participating in AC solar electric installations
- Lead the installation of electrical systems that interconnect the solar array to the grid
- Ensure work performed by all technicians is of good workmanship and compliant with current NEC and local codes
- Be an integral part of managing the commissioning, testing and inspection of solar systems
- Assist in electrical design, tie-ins, permitting process and inspections
- Work with branch team and home owners to fulfill any necessary system repairs to support solar equipment installation
- Interface with branch leadership to ensure compliance with electrician / labor ratios and continuing education requirements
- Minimum 3 years of electrical installation and repair experience
- Current California State DIR Electrician Certification Working knowledge of current NEC codes
- Must have working knowledge and experience replacing residential electrical services and distribution panels
- Ability to effectively manage work to achieve required timelines
- PV Solar installation experience is preferred but not required
- Must be experienced with all required hand and power tools associated with the electrical trade
- Strong interpersonal/human relations skills
- Strong analytical and creative problem solving skills
- Ability to read and interpret single line drawings
- Must maintain a clean and valid driver's license
- Must be able to pass a drug test and background check
- Ability to work safely in a branch/warehouse/field rooftop environment
- Ability to operate office equipment including computers and determine accuracy of work
- Must be able to carry/lift up to 50 lbs and ascend/descend ladders to install solar panels
- Must be able to transport materials and equipment to complete assigned job tasks (up to 50 pounds frequently and up to 100 pounds with assistance)
- Must be able to work on rooftops with various angles and surfaces which requires frequent bending, twisting, squatting, climbing, kneeling, crawling, turning, standing, and balance
- Must be comfortable working from ladders and at heights
- Must be able to work in confined spaces which requires kneeling, crouching and climbing ladders
- Must be able to work in outdoor weather conditions including but not limited to: excessive noise, extreme heat, extreme cold, wet environment, and humidity
- Must be able to frequently utilize hand functions requiring fine motor skills including but not limited to: fine manipulation, grasping, and pinching
- Must be able to frequently utilize gross motor skills including but not limited to: pushing, pulling, and reaching
- Availability to work nights and weekends may be required
- Some out of area work requiring overnight stays may be periodically required
- NABCEP PV Installation Professional Certification or ability to obtain within 6 mos
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Helioscope, and Sketchup
This is a full-time position, compensation commensurate with experience.
Medical, Dental, Vision/Eye care insurance, 5 weeks paid time off, up to 12 paid holidays, Commuter Checks, 403B retirement plan, Employee Assistance program, Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Health Savings Account (HSA), STD<D, and yearly Professional Development funds to further education up to $600.
Submit both a resume and a cover letter describing your interest here. Due to the high volume of inquiries, mailed and emailed applications are not accepted. Please do not call and/or email requesting an update.
GRID Alternatives provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetics. Women, reentry individuals, and people of color are urged to apply.