SHOL101: Solar Thermal Training- Solar Hot Water Design and Installation- Online
Students in this course will learn the theory, design considerations and installation strategies necessary to install and maintain a solar domestic hot water system. Passive solar water heaters, drainback systems, antifreeze systems, and photovoltaic powered systems are all addressed, as well as an introduction to pool and space heating systems.
The course will familiarize students with industry history, the distribution chain, jobs in the industry, safe practices, and national codes and standards. Students will explore the different types of collectors, systems, components, and materials used in solar heating systems and determine their appropriate applications.
The course will also examine the techniques and tools used for installing solar heating equipment. Finally, students will learn how to conduct site assessments, analyze hot water loads, develop accurate system sizing and project cost estimates, and identify the economic and non-economic benefits of a solar heating system.
Students who complete the SHOL101 course will be able to perform the following:
- Differentiate between various renewable energy sources and types of systems
- Perform calculations as needed for system sizing and other exercises.
- Evaluate the different types of SH systems and their suitability for specific
- Describe solar energy and applications for solar heating systems.
- Identify components specific to various types of solar water heating and solar
- pool heating systems.
- List the applications, operation, and functionality of the following SH systems -solar pool heating, ICS, thermosyphon, direct forced circulation, drainback, and antifreeze.
- Obtain specifications for various solar collectors and determine collector
- performance given various environmental and operating conditions.
- Identify various types of tools used in the SH industry and explain how to use them safely.
- Determine the magnetic declination, define azimuth and altitude angle and evaluate the shade potential for a given site.
- Estimate energy production of a SH system based on location specifics including orientation and tilt angle.
- Describe methods of attaching mounting hardware to a collector.
- Evaluate what type of solar heating system is most appropriate based on specific site criteria.
- Identify appropriate codes and standards concerning the installation, operation, and maintenance of SWH systems.
- Identify potential safety hazards and the proper personal protective equipment for working on solar heating systems.
- List the order of installation and commissioning of a solar heating system.