Grid-Direct PV Systems (Beginning) - Online
Solar Fundamentals 1A - Online
Grid-Direct Solar Photovoltaic Systems (Beginning)
Offered by the Southwest Applied Technology College (SWATC), this course provides a basic understanding of grid-direct solar photovoltaic (PV) systems based on the NABCEP PV Associate Learning Objectives. During the online training, students will learn the theory behind solar energy, including identifying how the system’s location and orientation affects energy output. At the conclusion of this course, students will have gained the necessary skills to design a simple residential-sized grid-direct solar PV system using solar PV modules, inverter(s), and balance of system components (BOS).
- PV Markets & Applications – System Types, Energy Conservation, & Energy Efficiency
- Safety Basics – Electrical Shock, Arc Flash, & Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Electrical Basics – Ohm’s Law, Electrical Circuits, & Meters
- Solar Energy Fundamentals – Orientation, Shading, & Tools
- PV Module Fundamentals – Module Types, I-V Curves, & Bypass Diodes
- System Components – Modules, Inverters, & Balance of System Components
- PV System Sizing Principles – System Losses, Temperature Limitations, & Software Tools
- Photovoltaic Systems (Third Edition) by James P. Dunlop
- Online Training (60 Hours) – Monday, January 8th – Sunday, March 4th, 2018
- $799 (Cost includes book & online instruction.)
- Registration & payment must be completed at least two weeks prior to the course start date to receive course materials on time.
- To register, contact Nichole Topham at (435) 865-3911.
Upon completion of Solar Fundamentals 1A & 1B, students will meet the training requirements to take the NABCEP PV Associate Exam. The cost of the NABCEP PV Associate Exam is not included in the course fees and is considered a separate cost.